Injured in a Car Crash: What do I do?

I was injured a car crash that was not my fault. What do I need to do?

To Do List After a Car Crash

  1. Get the name, address and contact information of the at-fault driver.
  2. File a crash report with the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles.
  3. Get the insurance information for the at-fault driver’s vehicle. Insurance follows the car. If a car is being lawfully operated on a public highway in Oregon, the law requires that it be covered under a policy of liability insurance. Get the name and phone number of the insurance agent for the company that covers the vehicle. This information is typically on the insurance card that most drivers carry with their registration.
  4. Time is of the essence. You have two years to file a claim. If you were injured in a car crash , you should know that you have two years from the date of the crash  to file a lawsuit against the driver that caused the crash , or your claim is barred. If you are treating for serious injuries, two years can pass quickly.
  5. Was the car you were driving, or a passenger in, covered by liability insurance? Unfortunately, people often drive cars that are not covered by liability insurance, even though that is against the law. If you were injured in a car crash  and the vehicle you were in was not covered by liability insurance, you may be limited in the damages you can recover. Specifically, in Oregon if you are in a car crash  and the vehicle you were in was not covered by liability insurance, you cannot recover damages for your non-economic damages, such as pain, suffering and disability.  
  6. Get the at-fault driver’s insurance information. If you cannot get that, get the contact information for the other driver. Failing that, get the license plate number of the at-fault driver.
  7. If it was a hit and run, you can make a claim against your own policy which in Oregon is required to have uninsured motorist coverage for this very reason.
  8. Expect to be called by an insurance company very soon. You will be asked to give a recorded statement that may be used against you later on. To protect your rights, be sure to contact an attorney of your choosing before you start making statements to any insurance company.
  9. Expect the at-fault driver’s insurance company to try to settle the claim with you quickly, especially if there was minimal damage to the vehicle you were in.

Hire an Injury Lawyer Today

Give me a call at 971-727-9226 to discuss your case. I serve the Fairview, Gresham, Troutdale and the Greater Portland area including Beaverton, Gresham, Hillsboro, Milwaukie, Lake Oswego, Oregon City, Fairview, Wood Village, Troutdale, Tualatin, Tigard and West Linn . I provide free consultation and I do not get paid unless you win. Most consultations are conveniently available remotely, or you may come see me at my office in Historic Troutdale. I work hard to maximize all the benefits you are entitled to.